Sunday, March 6, 2016

Review of Juicy Pig Barbecue [Denton, TX]

When it finally opened, the husband I knew we had to try out Juicy Pig Barbecue as soon as possible. We love the nearby GreenHouse Restaurant and Loco Cafe which are owned by the same person. Plus, we're both a sucker for good barbecue. I actually bought the book, Follow the Smoke: 14,783 Miles of Great Texas Barbecue, and we've slowly been crossing off BBQ joints as we visit them.

The Juicy Pig is a relatively small building, so there are only about four bistro tables to sit at inside. It can get pretty crowded, pretty fast! You can also order at the walk-up window outside the building and either take it "to go" or sit at one of the wooden picnic benches. The husband and I ended up sitting at one of the benches since the inside was full.


You can order beef brisket, pulled pork, ribs, three kinds of sausage, or smoked chicken. Since it was our first time, we both ordered the Whole Pig, where you could choose three meats, two sides, and also get two deviled eggs. I decided on chopped brisket, habanero sausage, and smoked chicken. For my sides, I chose their smashed potato salad and Slaw #3. Slaw #3 is their seasonal slaw, consisting of warm braised red cabbage with apple and bacon. I was not a huge fan of the smashed potato salad (I'm strangely traditional about this side), but everything else was amazing! The chicken was so tender it just fell away from the bone, the sausage had just the right amount of heat, and I could just eat Slaw #3 by the vat!


Diners get their choice of three house-made sauces to add that special pizzazz. Left to right, they are Carolina Style (vinegary with tart green apple), JP (more "traditional" but with a tamarind and mango fruit base), and Chipotle Peach (a bit of sweet heat). My favorite was the Carolina Style by far, and the twang of vinegar and apple paired beautifully with the pork.

The smoker itself sits behind the building. If I lived in the surrounding neighborhoods, I would wander over every time the amazing smell wafted my way. It's also a somewhat pretty view as a small creek runs behind the property.


I was so full from lunch, I had to take my dessert home: a charming mini pecan pie. Luckily, the husband is not particularly fond of pecan pie, so there was just more for me!


The husband and I both were really impressed with the Juicy Pig. It is definitely on our list of places to re-visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment