Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Chairy Orchard [Denton, TX]

I heard about this quirky place in Denton called the Chairy Orchard a while back on one of my social media platforms. I had wanted to try and find it for a while, but it seemed we were always busy with something else. On a recent weekend, my husband and I finally loaded into the car and went searching!



I started to wonder if we were in the correct place as we seemed surrounded by residential homes. Then we turned a bend and I called out for my husband to stop! We had found it!


The Chairy Orchard sits between two homes and is the brainchild of the women who live there (who call themselves the Chairy Fairies). For the last 30 years, the two friends have lived next door to each other, watching their children and then their grandchildren play together in the empty lot. Several years ago in a fit of whimsy, one of the women attached chairs to a small group of trees in the back of the property. Slowly, the Chairy Orchard has evolved into the fun destination it is today.

The two friends add chairs to the Orchard from flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales and the like, but visitors are encouraged to leave their own chairs as well!

The stated "mission" of the Chairy Fairies is to make people smile! They want people to stop by, take pictures, move the chairs around, sit in them, etc. They even post a number in case anyone wants to use the Orchard for a wedding or other special event. They also encourage people to share their pictures on the official Chairy Orchard Facebook page.


While the husband and I were walking around (with me compulsively righting chairs that were tipped over), one of the Chairy Fairies came out to add some over-sized bears to the huge multicolored chair. We chatted for a bit and she told us that they love to see people come and visit. She's even seen families having picnics among the chairs. The entire feel of the Orchard is so very "Denton" to me. Eclectic, fun, interactive, and the result of incredibly creative people who aren't aren't afraid to do something out of the ordinary. If you have an afternoon free, I highly recommend dropping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment