Sunday, August 23, 2015

Desk Set Weekend


Desk Set is one of my top-10 favorite classic films! Released in 1957, the movie stars Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Hepburn plays Bunny Watson, the incredibly smart and witty head of a broadcasting network's Reference Department. Tracy plays Richard Sumner, the man secretly hired to install an "electronic brain" (aka computer)in their office. Once the gossip gets out about Sumner's purpose, everyone is convinced that they're going to be replaced by a machine.



As to be expected, the chemistry between Hepburn and Tracy is delightful and their banter throughout the film is snappy and funny. This movie speaks to me on many levels (the dialog, the clothing, the insanely monsterous EMERAC, and the best office Christmas party you'll ever see). However, I am a librarian by profession, and so there is a connection for me there as well. Not only is Bunny Watson the Reference Librarian I dream of becoming, but it's very interesting to see how the struggle to adopt and adapt to technology hasn't changed much in the last 60 years.

Suffice to say, when I saw that Abilene's Historic Paramount Theater had Desk Set on their 2015 film series I gave a little shriek of glee! Coordinating the weekend with friends that live in Abilene, this quickly turned into an "Event." First of all, my girlfriend and I decided that our group had to dress appropriately. So we both started looking around for 1950s inspired outfits. It took me a while to piece mine together (I ordered the skirt online, but couldn't find a top I liked for weeks) while my girlfriend found a period-looking dress pattern and made hers.


On the big day, we decided to eat downtown at the lovely Abi Haus! We'd eaten here before and were very impressed with the food and service. It's a small venue, so we made sure to get there as soon as they opened.


Myself and the husband!


My girlfriend and her husband!


As a table, we decided to share the Farmer's Plate (fruit, bread, cheese, and honey) and the fried mushrooms. The fruit actually had a little bit of salt sprinkled on top, so when you mixed it with the honey it was amazing!


Abi Haus prides themselves on their pre-Prohibition drink menu, so I decided to forgo beer with my meal and went with the ABI Mule instead.


For my entree, I decided on the nightly lamb special. It was cooked perfectly and the curry-spiced carrots/mango pico de gallo complemented it nicely.


After dinner, we headed straight to the Paramount Theater to buy our tickets and get good seats. This is such a beautiful place to watch films! The building was originally built in 1930, remodeled in 1986, and is reminiscent of a completely different time in history.


Squee! Vintage movie poster!


Here we are in our full finery! (I'm sensing some Wonder Woman cosplay in my future) You can also see the beautiful tile work that lines the front entry and the ticket counter.


The interior of the Paramount is a feast for the eyes: luscious dark hues with gold accents, intricate moldings and light fixtures, a night-time sky filled with stars and clouds that drift by as you watch.


During the intermission, my girlfriend and I went up into the balcony to get a better view. The facade framing the stage always reminds me of a set from Romeo & Juliet.


Here are some more small details that just amazed me.


Desk Set was even better on the big screen! There was a scene towards the end of the film where I had never noticed Hepburn's delighted clapping and laughing at EMERAC's technical difficulties.


If you are anywhere near Abilene, I highly recommend visiting the Paramount! (Even if you're not close by, I would still recommend a road trip!) Here's the rest of their 2015 season. We may have to come back for December to see White Christmas. I sense another costume event!

Afterwards, we went out for coffee (and beer!) at Mezamiz Coffee House. Although I do truly love Abilene, sometimes it seems like the town rolls up its streets at night. Although it was 11:00 on a Saturday night, business was so slow they were closing an hour early. So, we drank our beverages quickly and headed home.


Before we left town the next day, we had to have breakfast at the Hernandez Bakery. This has become a tradition whenever we visit Abilene as they have some of the best tacos I have ever eaten. This time I got the barbacoa and the chicharron, the latter being spicy enough that I had to forgo the salsa.


And then, it was time to head back home. It was an amazing weekend filled with good friends, food, and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment