Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spring Break Road Trip, Day 5

Today was the day to head back to Denton. One of the wonderful perks about staying with friends is that they let you sleep in! But, eventually, we had to get up and get moving. I had noted several potential sight-seeing stops along the way back to Denton, but most of those got tabled due to our our late departure and the fact we were both ready to be home.

Our friends wanted to know where we wanted to eat before we left town and it wasn't hard to pick a place! We try to eat at the Hernandez Bakery every time we visit Abilene! (Not to be confused with the almost identically named Alfonso Hernandez Bakery) They have phenomenal burritos! (I got the chicharron and the guisada this time ... nomnomnom)


After hugs and well-wishes until next time, we headed northeast out of town. With a population of slightly over 2,000, you wouldn't think that Albany, TX would have an accredited art museum with a permanent collection featuring artists such as Renoir, Klee, Miro, and Picasso. The Old Jail Art Center is truly an amazing little museum to visit.


And, yes, the "jail" part is literal! Although there have been expansions, the original building was constructed in 1877 as the Shackelford Country Jail. It was reopened as a museum in 1980. I liked that some of the early features of the jail still exist! One of the current exhibitions was an installation by the artist Natasha Bowdoin.


I kept wanting to get closer and closer to her work! She takes layers and layers of finely cut and colored paper to create these incredibly organic and intricate designs.


We walked around and took a look at some of the other collections, including Asian and pre-Columbian art. The museum is completely free, but accepts donations. If you are ever traveling down I-20, I suggest a detour!


We also took a brief walk through the Shackelford Country Courthouse which was built in 1884. I adore old Texas Courthouses! I think the next travel book I need to buy is "The Courthouses of Texas: a Guide."


We left Albany and headed east on highway 180. (Although not before stopping at the Cupcake Queens food truck and getting a tasty treat to go) The countryside was starting to turn green after all of the recent rain. Beautiful!


I wanted to make one last detour, stopping in Strawn to visit the Ancient Art Soap Company. I love handcrafted soaps and I had just run out of my supply at home. Not only did I come away with lovely new soaps, I also purchased bath salts as well!


After Strawn, we headed back home to Denton and our cats (who were very pleased to have us back). Looking back at the last five days, I was very happy with our Spring Break Road Trip. I would certainly go back and re-visit our route, even spending extra time in some of the towns we passed through. I would especially love to visit McDonald Observatory again, just not at Spring Break!

I can't wait for another opportunity to travel around this awesome state. There is still so much more to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment